Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blog Post # 9


"What I've Learned This Year" was a wonderful post. Mr. McClung gave some very useful information for future teachers in this post. He shared how he learned so many things his first year of elementary school. Wow! Did he learn a lot of good things? While he was in college and doing his internship, he focused so much on how the audience was going to respond to the lessons that he taught. He saw that so many teachers focus more on teaching the lesson rather than making sure that their students understand it. I see so much of this today, and I think that doing it does not make them a successful teacher. Students need to not just learn the material that they are being taught. They also need to know how to apply it. He stresses that teachers can not plan a perfect lesson. This is very true! When it comes to planning a lesson, there are so many things that teachers have to consider. The way a teacher plans to teach a lesson may change completely. Teachers must be able to communicate and reason with their students. I liked it when he said, "Our job as teachers is to simply pick them up after they fall, dust them off, and encourage them to try again." Teachers should treat their students with care and compassion and want the best for them. He also stresses that adults should not be afraid of technology. Technology is something that everyone should be familiar with. Technology is forever changing, and everyone is struggling to keep up with the changes. Before taking EDM 310, I was a little afraid of technology because I am not very familiar with it. Taking this course has eased my fear of technology, and it is helping me to become more technologically literate. He advices teachers to listen to what their students have to to say. I do agree! Sometimes students share some of the most interesting and unbelievable things. I loved it when he stated, "Never Stop Learning." It is never too late for anyone to learn something new. I love to learn, and I will continue to learn! By reading this post, I learned so many things that I need to do in order to be a successful 21st Century teacher. Anyone who wants to be a future teacher should definitely read this post. I Enjoyed Every Bit Of It!!!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post by him as well!! He explained so much to me! This class has also erased my fear of technology in the classroom! I was anti-technology when I first came into class. I have since learned so much and have been completely enlightened. It was all thanks to teachers like this who blogged and explained about the benefits of technology in the classroom! You will make a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you keep learning and never think you have all the answers (or even many of them) you will be a good educator. As you can see from the readings this week Mr. McClung is even a better teacher in Year 3.

    ReplyDelete